Everyone Has a Scary Story. We Want YOURS!
Boils and Ghouls! It’s time for YOU to become a PUBLISHED WRITER! In 2020 Bill Philputt’s DAYS OF THE DEAD join forces with publisher Nicholas Grabowsky’s BLACK BED SHEET BOOKS and Horror Host and Editor, Joe Moe, to produce 5 anthologies of YOUR best short horror stories! Each book of 20 stories will represent the 5 regions DAYS OF THE DEAD haunts! All writers can submit stories for print and electronic publication!
- Write a short horror story of 2500 words or less!
- The story must be set in your particular Days of the Dead region: Georgia, Nevada, Indiana, Illinois, or the Carolinas.
- Submit your finished story and here’s what will happen:
- We’ll accept your story and edit it for publication OR
- For stories that are almost there, we’ll send notes, you’ll rewrite and resubmit OR
- If we don’t publish your story this time, we’ll send you a brief critique to help you refine and polish your story for submission to later anthologies.
We’re looking for the scariest, most entertaining undiscovered horror writers out there. This is your chance to become the creative force you know you’re meant to be. Aside from starting your writing journey and creating a finished story, here’s what you’ll get if you’re story is chosen for a book:
- Free Admission for 2 to your region’s Days of the Dead show
- A free author’s hard copy of your book
- A shared 20% royalties on sales of the book with fellow contributors
- Opportunity to buy unlimited copies of your book at only $1.50 above wholesale cost
- Invitation to sign copies of your book with fellow authors at your DotD show
- A published credit of boast-worthy publicity value to help boost your writing career
- A sense of accomplishment for contributing YOUR unique story to our genre!
No submission fees or hidden costs. All stories remain your property. Just let your creativity flow and get your story to us no later than as follows:
ATLANTA: January 1st, 2020 LAS VEGAS: February 20th, 2020 INDIANAPOLIS: June 19, 2020 CHARLOTTE: September 1st, 2020 CHICAGO: October 30th, 2020 (Dallas pending)
Now, meet your team:
Bill Philputt: Filmmaker and promoter of Days of the Dead horror conventions. As Bill moves the show’s theme toward the art of horror movie-making, he’s excited to sponsor a project that promotes the very thing movies are made of: Storytelling! www.daysofthedead.com
Nicholas Grabowsky Writer/Publisher of Black Bed Sheet Books. In addition to being an award-winning genre writer himself and publishing countless other authors, Nicholas’ passion is to discover new writers and promote literacy. www.blackbedsheetbooks.com personal site: www.downwarden.com
Joe Moe Writer/Editor/Horror Host at Days of the Dead. Joe has crept the halls of Horrordom for decades community building. Joe believes, “Fans are responsible to themselves to find their voice and responsible to the rest of us to share it!” www.gojoemoe.com
Be bold and brave! Leave the fear to your readers! WRITE!
PLEASE SEND YOUR SUBMISSIONS TO:
with the subject line: DAYS OF THE DEAD ANTHOLOGY along with the name of the city of the Days of the Dead venue you’re submitting for.
Joe Moe will be compiling/editing for each issue, tentatively titled as follows:
- Atlanta: “Georgia Screeches”
- Las Vegas: “Bet it all on 666”
- Indianapolis: “Creepy Crawdads”
- Carolinas: “Monsters in Moonshine”
- Chicago: “Frunchroom Phantoms”